Subject: Re: [Leica] The Leica Glow
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:30:55 -0500

The leica glow is really just a combination of flare, uncorrected
chromatic aberration rendered in BW, and a slight amount of coma
associated (mainly) with a particular design of wide-aperture
non-retrofocus wide-angle lenses. It's the 'leica' glow rather than
just a regular glow because it is combined with the usual Leica
rendering of fine detail (only partially obscured by the defects I
mention). It's easy enough to get it: shoot any of the pre-aspheric 35
or 50 Summiluxes or Summicrons wide open, particularly contre-jour or
with high lighting contrasts, and you will have it in spades. The
35/1.4 pre-asph is probably the most spectacular source of it.

The thing is, it's an effect. A very very very nice effect to be sure,
but an effect nevertheless. I got pretty tired of it, because in many
contexts it surrounds whatever you are shooting with a sort of romantic
fog, which can be very effective especially when it is completely
against the grain of whatever you are shooting, but eventually I just
wanted to scrub the damn fog off. It's like playing a guitar through
the same amp the whole time. Some people can do that and make a career
out of it. I couldn't.

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 10:58 AM, Daniel Ridings wrote:

> It's hard for me to say ... I really have never seen the Leica glow.
> But
> if "glow" means the nice optical quality that shines through when you
> use
> Leica glass ... I suspect any of the Summicrons will do. I have the
> second
> generation (I think) and it does just fine. I did have a better
> Summicron
> once (also second generation I think) but it got stolen. I've never
> felt
> that the replacement lives up to the first one.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com