Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: RE: MP on Leica's Web Site
From: "David M. Dorn" <dmdorn.ct@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:10:40 -0500

Mark Rabiner Wrote:
> And we have a 35mm camera which DOES NOT TAKE BATTERIES. Not THAT is a
> 2001 Monolith piece of news. Science fiction fantasy. Heck my jetpack
> strapped to my back takes Lithium crystals but my Leica MP?
> BATTERY-LESS!!!!
> "I think there is pieces of metal in there honey!"
> "Look springs!"
> "Look little gear things!"
> NO circuit boards or microchips!
>
> THEY MUST HAVE BEEN VISITED BY ALIENS TO HAVE COME UP WITH THIS
> TECHNOLOGY!!!

 From the Leica Website Tech Data page for the MP:

Exposure metering
Exposure metering through the lens (TTL), selectively with working
aperture. 'Metering principle' The light reflected from a
measuring field in the center of the first shutter curtain is measured.
The measuring field has a diameter of 12mm and is therefore equal to
approx. 13% of the total negative format or in the viewfinder approx.
1/2 of the short side of the valid viewfinder frame. 'Measuring range'
(at ISO100/21°)
 From 0.03 cd/m2 to 125,000 cd/m2 at room temperature, normal humidity
and aperture 1.0. For ISO 100/21° this corresponds to EV -2 to EV 20
  or f/1.0 and 4 s (“B” setting) to f/32 and 1/1000 s. Flashing of the
left-hand triangular LED in the viewfinder indicates working in
conditions of low light.
Film speed setting range Manual setting from ISO 6/9° to ISO 6400/39°.
'Exposure mode' Manual setting of shutter speed and aperture,
compensation using LED light balance.

BATTERY-LESS???  Are they using solar cells for or maybe hydrogen fuel
cells?

If people wanted an all mechanical camera why didn't they leave out the
exposure metering and save the cost....known as improving the bottom
line if you
keep the price up.  My guess is most users really do want the exposure
system.

And if your are going to have the meter why not the M7.  Maybe someone
should ask HCB his view!

David

Replies: Reply from David Degner <leicanews@myrealbox.com> ([Leica] Looking for connections (summer job))