Subject: Re: OT ships was Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:24:40 -0700

On 3/3/03 Seth Rosner  wrote:

>Having served for almost two years as a young watch officer on U.S.S.
>Intrepid, I know first-hand what it takes to drive a large vessel through
>the water at above 30 knots. Above 40 knots is quite phenomenal.
>Incidentally, one knot (as most know, it is a measure of speed, not
>distance) equals about 1.13 miles per hour; 40 knots translates into a bit
>above 45 mph.

For displacement hull vessels power goes up as speed CUBED so to double speed
from, say 20 to 40 knots means raising power by a factor of 8. For vessels that
run submerged it goes up as speed squared so the amount of power required for
the same speed increase for a submerged submarine is only a factor of 4.

I've taken photos of both surface ships and submarines with my Leica - just to
keep this on topic. Oh - and I didn't feel guilty since the cost of the camera
was vastly less than any of the vessels I photographed. Pound for pound the
America's Cup yachts were the most expensive. The submarines are by far the
hardest being essentially flat black. At sea, of course, they are almost
impossible. :)

Adam