Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:04:49 -0500

>Seth Rosner wrote:
>
>>  today there is nothing whatever to
>>compare with the excitement of a sailing departure from New York of one of
>>the great liners. It was a bit like New Year's Eve, people at the railings
>>and on the pier waving at one another, confetti flying, champagne corks
>>popping and the deep penetrating boom of the ship's horn signaling that all
>>lines have been cast off and the ship is under way, a tugboat humping away
>>at the ship's stern to bend it into the channel and point the head down the
>>North River, past the Statue of Liberty and on toward the Ambrose Light and
>>the open sea. It was something else.
>
>Yes, it was like that..

I barely recall going on to the SS United States in the mid 1960s
when my cousin was going on her honeymoon.  But I do remember the
excitement and hustle bustle.

It seems we've lost our sense of excitement over traveling overseas -
jet travel has made it positively routine.  But on my first trip to
Asia in 1993 I remember standing on a sidewalk in Tokyo and realizing
exactly WHERE I was and getting quite a rush out of it...this North
Carolina boy was a long way from home...
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Message from "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner1@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?)
Message from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?)