Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:02:08 -0500

Kit McChesney | acmefoto wrote:
> Rolfe--
>
> I didn't know that the QEII was running anything but luxury cruises. I like
> the idea of a freighter! More adventure! Thanks!
>
> Kit

Kit,

The Cunard Line people would be offended that you think that the QE2
does cruises at all. For most of its life, the line resisted that and
solely plied the transatlantic route. In recent years, they've taken the
QE2 to the Carribean during the off-season and done something
approximating a "cruise". It really isn't a very good ship for that
purpose though, being too large to dock at some smaller ports and having
  to anchor out in the harbor and transport passengers by launch into
the dock. It is really a ship that was built specifically for the
transatlantic route, like the original Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary,
United States, France, and other great liners before her. I understand
that QE2 is going to be replaced by Queen Mary II at some point in the
relatively near future. Some years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing the
QE2 dock in New York without the assistance of tugs, which were on
strike at the time. It was an "interesting" event, but the Captain and
Pilot handled it with aplomb. Just to stay vaguely OT, I did shoot a few
frames with my Leica. :-).

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014