Subject: RE: [Leica] OT How did we go from TTL to Dr. bashing?
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:10:30 -0700

Ernie--

I wasn't doctor-bashing, not at all. But I will say that many women have
been convinced that they must see their care during pregnancy as a
"disease," or some abnormal medical condition, rather than as a state of
mostly-optimum health, and that being pregnant is not nearly as dangerous as
many would like to have women believe. I have had many MD's who I adored,
both male and female, and who are wonderful docs. And like you, I've seen
some really bad ones, too. But I do think that the medical profession has,
in many ways, convinced women that they must do many things that are not
necessary, and that eventually lead to greater medical issues later down the
line. Even well-meaning, reasonable doctors do some old-fashioned things
sometimes that really aren't necessary, and could be avoided, if they kept
themselves abreast of some plain old common sense, and listened to and
believed what women have to say about their own bodies.

Anyway, this isn't the "feminist health issues discussion list," or the
"feminist" issues anything list, so I'll return us to our regular
programming. ;-)

And yes, balance is everything. You are absolutely right.

Kit