Subject: RE: [Leica] Is a Good Used M6TTL Worth More Than...?
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 16:54:56 -0700

That was phrased incorrectly. An epidural is not mandatory, and not
necessarily always sought out by women these days giving birth (especially
among those who have discovered that midwives can help them have safe and
healthy babies without so many unnecessary interventions and procedures). In
these days of natural childbirth, many women refuse the epidural, and many
refuse the assistance of a doctor, preferring the better care, in most
circumstances, of a midwife, who is there for her all during the pregnancy
in increments of time during exams of about an hour each, at least, instead
of the scandalous 15-minutes most doctors can spare for them. Many women see
nurse-practitioner/midwives for their other needs as well, and are perfectly
happy and healthy as a result. And less medicated, and given more options
that the standard run of chemicals pushed out by the pharmaceutical
companies interested more in profits than in health. (Don't get me started!)

After all, pregnancy and childbirth are not diseases, and except in cases
where there are genunine complications, a doctor's presence isn't even
necessary, much less desired. Most moms know that the nurses do most of the
hardest part of the work during a delivery anyway. We've all seen what they
do. Most of the time the doctor just comes in towards the end to "catch the
baby" and take all the glory.

Okay, back to our regular programming. ;-)

Kit