Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens help
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:48:53 -0500

grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> Rolfe
>
> Thanks for the reply.  The first few shots I made were without the hood, I
> do have the 12575 which came with it, and several otherwise nice portraits
> were ruined by the flare.  As you say the hood makes a real difference, but
> I noticed just a hint in a couple of shots on the second roll I shot with
> it.  I guess, now that I know the limits of the lens, I will just compose
> around them until I can afford the 90/2 AA lens.  I had expected this lens
> to be as nice as the 90/2.8 I have for my R4SP which is a real jewel of a
> lens.
>
> Gene

Gene,

I think we can all agree that the strength of the 90/2.8 thin TE is its
size. Obviously, the current 90/2.8  Elmarit offers better performance
at a greater size and weight, as does the 90/2 AA Summicron. The
question comes down to what you are willing to trade off for the small
size of the TE. This lens sat in my bag for years before I wised up and
added the shade. Since then, I can honestly say that I've been happy
with the performance. The shade definitely kills the veiling flare; if
any remains, it must manifest itself as slightly blown-out highlights. I
just haven't seen this kind of flare though in my usage of the lens.

I guess this is one case where YMMV definitely applies.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.