Subject: RE: [Leica] OR/NICU Photographs
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:26:15 -0500

Funny you should mention the NICU - having written a book 22 years ago
called Born At Risk, about 24 hours in a NICU, I fairly recently got to
thinking about the idea of updating it, as a photobook with extensive
text. And, in fact, have gotten as far as getting clearance to do it at
Beth Israel-Deaconess in Boston. The problem now is finding the time.

The problem with doing a NICU project at Boston Children's, or any free
standing Children's Hospital for that matter, is that you get a skewed
picture of the NICU - None of the babies are "in-born," they are all
transfers from other hospitals that couldn't care for them. So while a
NICU in a good hospital with a delivery service has a mix of infants,
from the 24 weekers skittering along the very fine edge of
survivability, to the "monster" full-term, 8 pounder's who simply need
to be watched for 24 hours. And that makes for a much wider-range of
parents, in terms of length of time the baby's there, emotions, etc.

It also, interestingly enough, often makes for radically different
overall survival rates, with the specialty hospital's
counter-intuitively having poorer outcomes.

B. D.