Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Italy, population growth etc.
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:46:48 -0800

On 2/26/03 John Collier  wrote:

>The catastrophic predictions of human population explosion are not
>turning out to be true. Birth rates are plummeting all over the world.
>The population is now predicted to peak at 10 or so billion and then
>start declining. To what is a good question.

Good ol' Google News (no - I'm not paid nor do I receive compensation for the
use of this product BD since I know you'll ask) had an article just today:

<http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030226-041326-3313r>

First Paragraph:

UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 26 (UPI) --   For the first time, fertility levels in
developing countries are likely to fall below replacement levels, the U.N.
Population Division said Wednesday, reporting the anticipated world's population
in 2050 to be 8.9 billion people, or 400-million below the 2000 projection.