Subject: RE: [Leica] Digicam for a Leica photographer
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:41:33 -0500

Peter - I'm been playing with an E20 - same as the E10 basically - since
August, when I got it as a loaner from Olympus (conflict disclosed :-)).

The E20 is a very professional camera in design and handling; well laid
out controls; quite intuitive; sturdy - has a really good feel to it and
is mostly metal; good sharp glass ED lens that goes from f2 to f 2.4 -
with a focal length spread of about 35-70, with an available 28 mm
adapter and a tele adapter. The iso goes from 80 to 320 - yes, the 320
top iso is a draw back. It can shoot raw, tiff, or various jpg files.
Oh, built-in, easy macro capability and full manual control - shutter
speed, f stop, focus - everything...and programmed meter, center
weighted or spot - plus programmed shooting, SP or AE or manual.

The shutter lag is pretty minimal on this one - I played around for a
bit with a Canon G3 and felt like I could make coffee while it decided
to take the photo; that is not at all the case with the E20. HOWEVER -
in low light the autofocus is sllllllllllloooooooooooooow. Painfully
slow; cripplingly slow.

That said, for what the camera is - and as far as I'm concerned it's a
high-end P&S - it's fun to use, produces reasonable size files - up to
about 11 meg 16 bit color. I shot the snow stuff in my Leica gallery
folder with it, and I shot stuff with it last August for an assignment
for Newsday and it produced good results.

So there it is - good, not great. On balance I enjoy having it to
supplement my film cameras - I would NOT want to depend on it as my only
professional tool.

B. D.