Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica does it again
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:05:01 -0700

Leica cannot compete with Canon and Nikon and if they try that road
they will out of business in a fortnight. They occupy a niche market
that has not proven profitable for any other manufacturer except
Cosina. Cosina's failing is that they use a very cheap and noisy
mechanical shutter. Leica's raison d'être, the optical line, is
becoming somewhat moot in a world obsessed with digital. Perhaps that
will change with a new sensor that can take advantage of Leica's
optical finesse but that is not going to feed anyone in Germany or
Portugal anytime soon. Though I am fond of the TTL, it has been a dead
duck since the M7 was released.

Frankly, what else could Leica do but try to woo the nostalgic and the
practical back to the fold. If it has TTL flash, the only operational
change from the TTL will be the smaller wrong/right way shutter dial.
That is hardly a big deal. I prefer the larger TTL dial but I like the
looks of the shorter top plate so it is a toss up in my book. Let's
see, a regular production black paint camera, a reborn Leicavit and a
shorter top plate, seems like they will sell a bunch of them to me.

What will I do? I will stick with my two TTLs (0.72x and 0.58x) and my
M2. All of them have RWs, thank you Tom, and what else could I possibly
need? I am interested in the new optional rewind crank for my M2 as I
never cared for the one from Mr, Wasserman. Hopefully Leica's will be a
little more discrete.

John Collier