Subject: [Leica] Pentacon
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:55:00 -0500

At 02:55 PM 2/23/03 -0800, Javier Perez wrote:
>They are still making industrial gadgetrs but their
>camera production is dead. The lenses they sell are
>relabeled stuff, possibly samyang. They may still make
>binoculars though. And while I'm not sure they may be
>affiliated with an outfit called jenoptik.

Javier

Please get your facts right.

First, Pentacon was bought out by Carl Zeiss Jena in 1985, though I am
uncertain how one Bolshevik enterprise could ever buy out another.  But
such is the case here.

Second, the binocular end of CZJ was sold to Doctor Optics in Wetzlar and,
with it, the Eisfeld and Saalfel (formerly, OAS) plants.  Doctor was
reorganized when its owner died, but the current enterprise is quite
happily cranking out sports optics, including the 8x,21 TURMON moncular
(introduced in 1921) and the ASPECTUM 65mm and 80mm binoculars, first
introduced in 1931.  Take that for 'longevity', Leica!

Third, the Jena plant itself was taken over by the State government and
rented to Carl Zeiss, who, of course, claim ownership.  Zeiss now has
dedicated the Jena plant to optical research and the production of
professional astronomical gear.

Fourth, those portions of the Penttacon concern which could be identified
were returned to the Noble family (an ex-German US family) who now produce
the Noblex panoramic camera.  The Noble family had owned the KW firm.  The
current head of the family lost the business to a consortium of banks some
years back.  (He refers to himself as 'Sir John' Noble due to membership in
the Knights of Malta.  I know a couple others of this ilk and I do not
regard them as exactly on plumb with the rest of the universe.)

Fifth, Herr Mandermann, he of Schneider fame, purchased large chunks of the
camera works and made 35mm and 6cm by 6cm cameras until the last year under
the name of 'Feinmechanik-Schneider-Dresden AG'.  I am not certain just
what these guys are doing right now.

Sixth, the remnants of Pentacon tried to have an independent existence but
this failed miserably several years back, and they entered into a
consortium with Carl Zeiss to produce high-end industrial, scientific, and
night-vision optics.

Seventh, the East German remnants of the Schott glassworks were taken over
by the State Government under the name of Jenoptik, and Carl Zeiss is a
large minority owner in this (I believe that the split is 51/49).  The
Schott glassworks in Jena were assigned to Schott-Mainz for operational
control, and they now use this plant to produce consumer glassware.  I own
some egg coddlers from this "Jenaer Glasswerke", sold in the US by, of all
people, our most suspect MS Martha Stewart.

Eights, Hugo Meyer was hived off and retains an independent existence.  It
is still producing lenses.

So, the original Carl Zeiss Jena and Zeiss Ikon legacy has been fractured
but, in the end, there are really only the following:

Doctor Optics:		sports optics (binoculars, telescopes)
Carl Zeiss		Jena (optical research, astronomical gear)
Schott			Jenaer Glasswerke
Pentacon		Part of a Zeiss consortium for electro-optical equipment
Schneider-Dresden	I don't know what they are doing, now that they have
killed camera production

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!