Subject: Re: [Leica] M7, Metz 54,HSS and Sports Photos
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:02:53 -0500

In Manual mode, set for ISO 800, 50mm lens coverage, f 5.6 the 54 MZ-3
calculates 65 feet. Farther for longer lenses, less far for smaller
apertures (46 feet @ f8 etc.). Shutter speed has nothing to do with it
except in terms of the balance of ambient light. Remember that with the
M7 you are limited to 1/50 of a second unless the flash is set  to
Manual and HSS, and then you MUST know the distance to select an camera
aperture and/or flash output ratio, probably very hard to do in a fast
moving game. Personally I'd use the SLR.

Hope this helps. I've never shot basketball - Formula One though :)

Gilbert