Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:04:38 -0500

Javier,

> I think the M6,7 etc are all analog!

The M6 is all analog, no doubt, but the M6 I'm reasonably sure they have
some simple digital circuitry in it.  At least that's how I would do it.

How do you time the shutter in an analog system?  Somehow, you have to
measure time, to a pretty precise measure.  It's a LOT easier to do by
counting clock pulses...which would mean digital.

> It's cheaper to build a non-emulative analog circuit

I disagree.  Analog circuitry used for timing would have to be calibrated,
and is very susceptible to drift and temperature.  Digital circuits for
timing are highly reliable, and maintain the "count" over their temperature
range with exceptional accuracy.  The only downside to digital circuitry is
it's susceptible to low temperatures.

I will ask Leica on Monday if the M7 circuitry is all analog or has any
digital.  I'd like to know.

Regards,

Austin