Subject: Re: [Leica] BD and the M7 and chronometers
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:28:37 +0100

> Leica SHOULD have been advertising their M6 as a camera repairable for
> decades to come but failed to do this.  Thus, we are stuck with a
> 'disposable' M7 which is a nice enough camera, for the all of it, but
which
> has no predictable longevity.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
> Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!
I agree it reminds me a bit of the watch industry when quartz movements
appeared.
Suddenly there were these cheap watches that kept time more or less
indefinately because the direction of error is random sometimes - then +
etc.
All chronometers which need to have a constant error in order to use them
for long distance navigation were a lot harder to make and nearly impossible
to make as quartz movements.
The Swiss industry quickly become broke and Seikos star rose.
Now we see a return to the true quality standards again.
Things like longevity are emphasised like in the Blancpain  and Patek
Philippe watches which portray fathers passing on their watch to their
kids.Apperance of tourbillion movements and the like.
simon
p.s
a question which watch is better one which gains 12 hours in a day or one
that gains a millisecond in a millenium?

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> ([Leica] BD and the M7)