Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:48:46 -0800

At 10:30 AM 2/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Tina - The need for large file sizes is NOT exaggerated if you want to
>produce decent size prints at good resolution. First off, while
>newspapers can and do use small files because they print at low
>resolution, I know that when I wrote and shot a story for Newsday last
>summer, they wanted files of 11 meg, which while not huge, are hardly
>small.

The files from the Digilux when saved as uncompressed Tiffs are over 11
megabytes.  So I guess it's not too small!  I've made 16x20 prints that
surpass prints from TMax 400 film.

>Not wanting to be a pain in the ass - much - but I think this might be a
>time for us to be reminded that you do work for Leica, including making
>presentations on the Digilux. The reality here is that the Digilux is a
>high-end digital P&S, which some people love and which some reviewers
>don't love - but whether it is or isn't a great P&S, it is hardly a
>camera that most photojournalists would consider as a main digital
>camera.

Leica didn't give me Digilux or even a break on the price.  I bought it
because it is the closest thing available to a digital M.
It will do until something better comes along ;-)   I can't take a big,
heavy, clunking digital SLR to the Mosquito Coast in April, but I can take
the Digilux.
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

With all due respect ;-)

Tina