Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.now hasselblads
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:45:37 -0500

I think that the camera industry is stabbing it's toe in the water of higher
margins.  Way back in the fifties, a premium camera such as a Leica was
above $300 with an Elmar lens.  For the average middle class type family
that was way more than three months wages before taxes.

If we accept that the average middle class type family is making $40,000
before taxes then three months wages would be $3200 or so.  This much will
buy a serious camera.  Now that cameras are becoming electronic, I think
that the industry is hoping that they can raise their margins by selling the
cool consumer electronic angle.

So, $7000 for a premium money making pro type camera such as the Hasselblad
645 is not out of the picture.  For the more frugal, you can now pick up 500
CM's with 80 and A12 for the $1000 range.  No meter, no motor, backward
reversed image and probably a CLA in your future.  Of course, some Rollei's
with a 3.5 in user condition can be found in the $500 range.

Which brings us back to what has always been true.  If you know what you are
doing, then good quality basic tools can be had pretty reasonably.  On the
other hand, if you need crutches such as AE and AF and AW then you will have
the opportunity to open your wallet and lighten the load.  Which is what the
industry would like you to do.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: Re: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.now hasselblads)