Subject: RE: [Leica] BD and the M7
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:49:24 -0500

At 04:50 PM 2/21/03 -0500, bdcolen wrote:
>Or, to put it another way...
>Real photographers don't make gears; real photographers make
>photographs. :-)

Well, I guess BD has just put paid to the idea of the Renaissance Man.  Me?
 I can take pictures, process them, write books, drive a car, cook one hell
of a pan of fried chicken, discourse on single-malts, use a lathe and drill
press, instruct you on the course of the Russian Revolution, teach you
ancient Greek or Latin, paddle a kayak or a canoe, show you the Zodiac, and
explain what the US Constitution means, in words of one syllable or less
<he grins>.

You really should re-read Heinlein's TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE.  He lists the
above, and some other things which I cannot do -- such as driving a
starship through null-space -- as the mark of a real person.  All others
are fakes.

I suspect that most of the folks on this List are capable of cutting a
simple gear-wheel to precise tolerance on a decent machine lathe.  Almost
all of us are old enough to have had shop in junior high rather than the
current rage of putting girls through shop and boys through Home Ec.

Stay flexible, BD.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!