Subject: Re: [Leica] BD and the M7
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:26:45 -0600

You may be able to, but not everyone can, or has the inclination to do so.
Will you or your son be able to do this after your body has gone south and
no longer can hold tools steady etc.?  You must remember the older
generation is dying off and not too many of the younger generation has the
respect for the older generation of cameras etc. that we do and they will
not want to take the time and energy to learn these skills and make the
repairs.  This is not just bunk, I have seen it in the electronic and
mechanical engineering areas of expertise.  Example:  1960-70 vintage
radios which use tubes and other components - Tubes are no longer made and
are becoming scarce- no one is making or has the equipment to make or
repair tubes (a needed skill since you can no longer purchase the tubes),
not many today know how to repair the older circuitry that uses individual
components , they only know how to substitute large scale integrated
circuits (seems incredulous, but I see it everyday, A engineer/technician
will say why do I need to know this stuff as I can just replace the card
with a new one).  I collect and use Collins Amateur Radio equipment - All
Tube - last made in 1978 - the Equivalent of Leica in the Amateur Radio
World.  It is repairable only by the user at this point and there are few
if any new people learning/want to learn how to work on and use, as the new
Japanese Solid State equipment is so much easier and has so much more
capability.  sounds Familiar Doesn't It??

So it is not just bunk...

Gene

                      Marc James Small
                      <msmall@infi.net>                   To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] BD and the M7
                      -alto.ca.us

                      02/21/2003 02:56 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

At 02:07 PM 2/21/03 -0600, grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
>My point (if I have one) is that as nice as the old stuff is it will
indeed
>become unrepairable (yes I know that is heresy to you M-3 users) as there
>will be no one who can make new gears etc, at some time in the not so
>distant future.

This is so much bunk, sir.  I can make the gears, if push comes to shove,
as can my son.  Anyone with access to a minimal amount of machine tools can
do so.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!