Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Rangefinder in F Mount by Nikon - Rumor Mongering All over
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:42:10 -0800

At 5:20 AM -0600 2/21/03, Sam Krneta wrote:
>Yes, and probably where the last lens sits in relationship to the film
>plane. You have mentioned this few times and as a Nikon as well as Leica
>shooter I'm curious.
>
>Sam

It's the position of the rear nodal point that counts, not the
location of the lens elements. The further this is from the
film/sensor plane the better the incidence angle. Similarly, if the
throat of the lens mount would cause image cutoff, the further it is
from the sensor plane the less it becomes a problem. The position and
arc of the mirror in an SLR determine the distance of the last
element of lens from the sensor, and the position of the last element
places certain restrictions on the position of the rear nodal point.

What this means is that the smaller throat of the Nikon mount may
make it more difficult to design certain lenses, but the suitability
for digital photography of Nikon lenses as they are designed is
probably the same as Canon lenses, as the location of the mirror and
its swing are about the same.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design