Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Rangefinder in F Mount by Nikon - Rumor Mongering All over
From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:56:32 -0800 (PST)

I personally believe that the F mount is the reason
why Nikon have struggled in the film camera market for
some time. In an attempt to keep backwards
compatability they have not had the advantages Canon
took with the change to the EF mount - electronic
linkages have meant that with literally one or two
exceptions, all Canon EF lenses fit all EF mount
cameras and function as designed. This is not the case
with all Nikon AF lenses (older bodies can't use VR at
all, for example), and with the introduction of the
new G series lenses Nikon are effectively abandoning
their manual focus users. Canon also took advantage of
the new mount to make it much larger than the FD -
until the Contax N mount, it had the biggest throat of
all. Again, this has paid dividends with the fast
super teles, and now is usable for full-frame digital.
It will be interesting indeed to see how Kodak get
round the physical limitations of the F mount in their
14 megapixel monster.
That's not to say that Nikon's designers and engineers
haven't done a great job - simply that the constraints
imposed by the F mount have probably been more burden
than advantage in recent history.

Nick