Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - student arrested for photographing public transit facility
From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:40:00 -0800 (PST)

It' the way in a very large part of the world - maybe
a touch less so now than in the days of the Iron
Curtain, though.
In the UK, we still often have viewing areas where
photography is permitted, but anything that smacks of
security generally has "no photography" signs up. I'll
be honest, having been to so many places, I would
instinctively assume that photography was not allowed
in airports unless I saw somebody else snapping
(nearly said shooting!) away under the unconcerned
gaze of airport security/police. And again, I'm often
wary of taking pictures in UK railway stations because
of my experienmces elsewhere.
Even in the UK, I used to live in Edinburgh and just 2
miles from my house were the Pentland Hills, a
respectable upland area and regional park (and
favourite haunt of Robert Louis Stevenson). Within
that area is an army shooting range - Ministry  of
Defence property, and as such subject to a photo ban.
As if it is of any military significance whatsoever,
as if it was of any real interest - it just intrudes
on the landscape in such a way as to spoil several
nice shots - I never once saw something worth - well,
shooting.

Nick

- --- Kit McChesney | acmefoto <kitmc@acmefoto.com>