Subject: Re: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:27:54 -0600

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 07:12 PM, Marc James Small wrote:
> At 05:53 PM 2/16/03 -0600, Matthew Powell wrote:
>> Who said anything about "obtain[ing] legislation from Congress"? That's
>> your argument. You said protests are useless, that Congress changes
>> things. I'm talking about protests, mass actions, action outside of the
>> government changing things. You said that doesn't happen.
>
> Matthew
>
> We're arguing at cross-purposes here.  I did not say what you are
> saying I
> said, and you contend that I misunderstood what you were saying.

No, I contend that you mis-stated what I was saying in your response.
Whether you did this on purpose or misunderstood, I don't know.

> I am simply saying that political change almost always comes through
> established political means, and that protests -- not strikes, not court
> cases, protests pure and simple -- are not a terribly effective way of
> bringing about such change.  Registering and organizing voters,
> canvassing
> Congressmen, and the like is generally far more effective.

This is a change from your previous words - such as your stated
disagreement with the Zinn quote which mentioned numerous things outside
of protest and that the "proper way to change US policy" is only by
pressuring Congresspeople directly.

> As Brian has suggested that we end this thread, I will do so on the LUG
> but
> will be delighted to continue it off-List.

I hadn't noticed that, but it does make sense at this point. I get to
beat my head against the wall for several hours tomorrow morning in a
cold war lit class, no use in beating it tonight.