Subject: Re: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:12:51 -0500

At 05:53 PM 2/16/03 -0600, Matthew Powell wrote:
>Who said anything about "obtain[ing] legislation from Congress"? That's
>your argument. You said protests are useless, that Congress changes
>things. I'm talking about protests, mass actions, action outside of the
>government changing things. You said that doesn't happen.

Matthew

We're arguing at cross-purposes here.  I did not say what you are saying I
said, and you contend that I misunderstood what you were saying.

I am simply saying that political change almost always comes through
established political means, and that protests -- not strikes, not court
cases, protests pure and simple -- are not a terribly effective way of
bringing about such change.  Registering and organizing voters, canvassing
Congressmen, and the like is generally far more effective.

As Brian has suggested that we end this thread, I will do so on the LUG but
will be delighted to continue it off-List.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!