Subject: RE: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:14:03 -0500

Excuse me, Marc, but go read your history. Civil Rights Act after Civil
Rights Act died in Congress at the hands of Southern Democrats - with
the support of Conservative Republicans - for generations prior to the
mid-60s. What changed things was the birth of the modern Civil Rights
Movement with the Birmingham Bus Boycott of 1958, and the various
marches, sit-ins and Freedom Rides - to say nothing of the murders of
Schwerner Chaney and Goodman in the summer of '63 - to the March on
Washington in August of 1963. But even with all of that, it's unlikely
the log jam would have broken with the Kennedy assasination that
November, and Lyndon Johnson -a former member of the Senate's Southern
Caucus and protégé of Sen. Richard Russell - throwing the full weight of
the Presidency behind the effort.  And BTW, I have never read any of
Zinn's incredibly biased U.S. History texts - and was horrified that his
text was what my youngest had as a high school "text" - but I am old
enough to have read, heard and watched news coverage in a discerning way
from the late 50's on, and to have read many non-Zinn's histories of the
Civil Rights movement, and of national politics.