Subject: Re: [Leica] anti war in amsterdam
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:23:29 +0100

>  > Hey Simon,
>>
>>  Good work there.  Taken as a whole you have really shown what went on.
>>
>>  I think TMZ may be a little overkill for a daylight scene.  Some of the
>>  grain comes through even on the web.
>>
>>  Mike D
>>
>Well i really wanted to try hyperfocusing at f8 and thought i needed 1/250
>at least for most scenes so that left me little choice with the dark day.
>Also most pics are cropped a lot and in order to make out a pretty face here
>and there i unsharpened a lot and that brings out the grain.
>Thanks for your comments.
>simon
>p.s according Kodak literature the film should give better results then a
>400 pushed twice.do you disagree with that?

TMZ better than TMY pushed two stops?

Depends on what you mean by better results. But generally I would
disagree. In this case definitely.

TMY pushed to 1600 has much less shadow detail than TMZ @ 1600 but
also a lot less grain. Shadow details are not of great importance to
the pictures you show this time, so I think a pushed TMY would have
been better than the TMZ you used.

I agree with the comment above about the grain coming through on the
web. But even worse to my mind is that the pictures are so flat and
muddy. The grain is murky. Obviously the light was very diffuse, and
this makes the pictures look like they do if you use  TMZ. The
pictures are not "clear"

Pushing a 400 film to 1600 would increase contrast and make the
pictures look more vivid, unless you print the flat on purpose.. For
situations like the one you photographed I would go for HP5 @ 800 and
develop in Rodinal. Grain yes, but very clean grain and high
acutance. More sparkle.

One more suggestion if I may; in a situation liked that, set your
lens to 2 meters instead of four and get CLOSER!

Best regards

>--

Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or