Subject: RE: [Leica] Film Scanners
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:43:33 -0600

Doug,

It sounds like you are happy with this scanner. You can still get a new one
for about $500 which I would imagine some would consider a bargain.

I thought your scans looked very good. What about printing them?

I have read a couple of articles/posts relating to some slides not scanning
well on the Nikon 4000. If the positive is curved at all I understand it is
either out of focus or has distortion in the scanned image.

This was one of the things I mentioned that I had seen about the Nikon 4000.
I do have quite a few old slides that I want to scan, so this is of concern
to me.

Most of those that have responded so far do seem to use the Nikon, but with
the Vuescan software.

This brings up another question that I would like to ask of those that do
have the Nikon.

Since it is well known that Nikon USA will not work on any grey/gray market
cameras, does this also apply to scanners as well?

If I decide to purchase the Nikon, it sounds like I need to make sure it is
from an authorized USA dealer.

The price is really holding back my decision on it though, but there is a
rebate.

I also noticed that Canon has a 4000dpi scanner, but none on this list have
responded that they have used it.

Rolfe mentioned Epson's new flat bed scanner coming out, but I already have
a flat bed and don't really need a second.

<< Doug Herr wrote:

I have Ernie's old Sprintscan 4000.  Examples of scans made with it are:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/coyote2.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/grhe2.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/lbhe1.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/goea1.html

A few of my slides were also scanned (by other people) with Coolscan IV and
Coolscan 4000 scanners.  These were older Kodachromes that weren't
completely flat.  The Nikon scanners could not get the entire slide in
focus.  The Polaroid scanner can, especially when using the Silverfast
software bundled with the scanner.

Vuescan also works quite well with the Sprintscan 4000 with a couple of
limitations (which may be 'cuz I don't know how to get around 'em):

1) Highlights get clipped.  I can control this better with Silverfast.

2) Most, but not all, of the curved slides are in focus.  The entire slide
is in focus with Silverfast.  The scans of these slides made with the Nikon
scanners were unusable.

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Film Scanners)