Subject: [Leica] Re: MF Rangefinders...
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:02:58 -0800

I have owned the following Fuji MF rangefinders: GSW690 w/65mm w.a. lens
(similar to a 28mm 0n a Leica),  GS 645 models, 75mm folder, 45mm (similar
to a 28mm 0n a Leica), 60mm (similar to a 35mm 0n a Leica).  The 645 models
have built in manual meters. 6X9s require a hand meter.

IMO the PROs are:
Optics: The 690 and 670 models use view camera lenses. I have always found
the bokeh to be excellent. I am looking at a 16X20 print of  a couple shot
wide open (F 4) with the 60mm. In focus image is very sharp and contrasty
with soft bokeh in the out of focus regionss.  The 60mm was the first
camera I owned that was as sharp wide open as stopped down.

Size: The 645 models weigh 800 grams. Less than most 35mm cameras with
lenses. Physical dimensions are also compact. The 670 and 690 models use
the same body. Weight is about three pounds.

Ergonomics: I like the vertical format of the 645 models. It is easy to
flip the camera 90 degrees for a landscape shot. A second tripod socket is
provided for landscape orientation. Film advance is by thump lever, double
stroke in the big bodies. Loading is very simple.

Film options: 120 or 220. The big negs allow the use of fast films without
image compromise. This off sets the slow lens speeds.

Price: New or used they are a bargain.

Format: the 6X9 have the same aspect ratio as 35mm. There is plenty of neg
to crop if desired.

Longetivity: I've never worn one out. The big bodies have a roll counter
and Fuji suggests an overhaul of the shutter after 500 rolls.

Cons: All models have very wierd B exposure methods. Almost impossible to
use without moving the camera. Bodies are mostly plastic and some people
think they look like toys. The sound of the shutter releasing is very
unpleasant compared to a Leica. Airport screeners have never seen one and
want to take it apart. At Paris/DeGaulle I was told"there is no such
camera".

Rangefinder patchs are inferior to Leicas. It can be difficult to focus
exactly.

Non-interchangable lenses (except the old original model)

Stupid built-in hood on thge big bodies.

The folding model had bad bellows and is no longer repaired by Fuji. (Too
bad, it was a great idea.)

The 45mm model is scale focus.

Conclusion: I will never give up my 60mm GS645  It has been around the
world and then some with me. At least 50,000 miles of knocking around in a
backpack.

Bill Lawlor