Subject: Re: [Leica] Black or Chrome?
From: Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 06:53:17 -0800

Henry

Yes, I have been informed by an agent of the factory that
current Leica M7s are indeed made with brass tops and
bottoms.  This is a good thing.

However, let it be known that the "black" in the  black chrome
is just a conversion coating in the outer surface of the chrome.

I have had extensive experience with black chrome in the aero-
space, automotive, and gun worlds.  The black is fugitive and
will wear down to the base chrome.

Actually there are black nickel platings that are considered
far better than black chrome, but they are more expensive.

Jerry