Subject: RE: [Leica] States' Rights and Racism
From: "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:23:51 -0700

Jerry--

That's what Slobodan said--that home schoolers are "non-white challenged."
"Non-white" being the operative adjective here.

And I have to take issue with the idea of "Cracker," if I may. Do you know
what a Cracker is? (I happen to be part-Cracker, so I feel I can say with
some authority that it should not be used as a disparaging term!)

Cracker is a nickname for the Celtic people (Irish, Scot, Welsh, Cornish)
who settled the Southeastern part of the United States. The Atlanta baseball
team, back in the "olden" days was called The Atlanta Crackers. The term
fell into some disrepute later on, but it actually has a rich and venerable
history.

Of course, most of the bad names that Southern folks have acquired were
given to them by their northern neighbors who abhorred their carefree,
unhurried, and unbridled lifestyles, their ways of allowing their animals to
graze untethered, their culinary habits which were foreign to the mostly
order-obsessed British-born or descended folk who settled the North. Many of
our Northern friends have never been able to cultivate a taste for so many
delicious Southern delicacies--like country ham and redeye gravy, biscuits,
cornbread (the way it is supposed to be made, without sugar!), and other
goodies which, I'm sure, many of you fine gentlemen and gentleladies have
never savored.

So.

As for home-schooling, I have noticed a slight bent towards the conservative
among their ranks (to say the least), though this is not always the case.
Depends on where they're being home-schooled, the community, and whether
they are part of a network of homeschooled children. I actually know some
liberal-types who homeschool their children.

Kit