Subject: Re: [Leica] Black or Chrome?
From: Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:40:27 -0800

Dick

Unless the quality of Leica chrome has gone down in the past years,
there is no question that the chrome will last much longer.

The current black finish does not have the saving grace of wearing
down locally, to a condition known as brassing.  There is no brass
underneath any more, 'cause the metal used is a zinc alloy which
we call "pot metal".  I bought a M4-P recently which had corroded
down completely in the area 'tween the shutter speed wheel and
the rangefinder housing.  When I tried to clean off the white deposit
there, it broke away locally, leaving a small hole. leading into the
innards of the upper deck of the camera. The corrosion products
fell into this space.

Fortunately, I found someone who had a new black top cover for
sale. I had the camera totally CLA'd and will be selling it as soon
as I get it back from the technician. My loss will be someone's gain.

Jerry