Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 with studio flash try out
From: Simon Lamb <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:14:35 +0000

On 11/02/03 21:44, "Mark Rabiner" <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:

> Simon Lamb wrote:
>>
>> David
>>
>> One light, a 200 head into an umbrella.  Normally I would use an Octobox, a
>> softbox, a snoot etc. but I couldn't be bothered to set it all up and the
>> kiddies were getting bored.  It is cheating, but I was trying out a new
>> 180mm f/4 lens I got for my Hasselblad when I remebered about Mark doing
>> sutdio stuff with his M, so I thought I would give it a try.  Only had
>> Provia 100F available but seems to look OK converted to b&w.
>>
>> The 90 AA is a stunning lens, easily the par of anything else I have, bar
>> perhaps the 180mm Hasselblad lens.
>>
>> Thanks for the comment.
>>
>> Simon
>>
> I also use the 180 lens for a year so far; the 90/2AA for the Leica for
> two  years
> I get better quality, more formalized less spontaneous head shots with
> the 180; and that is on medium format format. Quite a bit more acreage
> than 35mm format.
> So I've not been able to make a call as to which lense is better, Its
> very hard to do when they are going into two different formats. Very
> hard to do.

Indeed, a hard comparison and perhaps not a fair one.  Past comments seem to
suggest that a 35mm lens would normally be optically better than an MF one.
I think for portraits, the square format is less regimented, the 180mm is
superb and the option is there to produce large prints if required, all good
reasons to keep the 6X6.  However, for informal, relaxed and almost
spontaneous portraits, the M6 and 90AA are a great combination.  I guess in
that respect, these lenses are about equal.

Simon