Subject: Re: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:20:08 -0700

Hi Austin,

I do not understand why but the following is what I understand to be
true.

Leica has a worldwide distribution network for its product. Each
distributor gets the exclusive right to sell Leica product in a set
area and in exchange they provide a series of services. These services
include repair and parts depots, distribution, promotion, etc. These
services are expensive to provide and have to be paid for out of the
profits of Leica sales in that area.

Warrantee work is billed back to Leica AG at a rate lower than retail
trade repair rates. Warrantee work is closely monitored both internally
and by Leica AG itself as warrantee fraud is not unknown. Every repair
is linked to a specific items by serial number and all replaced parts
are examined by Leica AG to ensure they were defective. A certain
percentage of warrantee claims will be rejected and there is usually a
warrantee budget set by Leica AG. Exceed the budget and you will
closely scrutinized by Leica AG*. All this leads to certain repairs and
adjustments not being claimed as the paperwork costs are higher than
the recoverable amount. If you are under warrantee budget  then you
have lee way when the Friday or Monday camera from h*** comes in.

All of the above is to explain the reasons why warrantee work is not
profitable for the distributor. If they are lucky, and have skilled
administrators and staff, then they should be able to break even. I
hope I have made the reasoning clear. Also a certain amount of
warrantee work will come from other distributor's customers. Usually
these will be minor repairs as major ones will take longer than the
customer has before they return to their original country. So all the
distributors take care of each other to a certain extent.

Everything is hunky dory so far but now comes the spanner in the works.
Leica AG will sell outside its own distribution network if you purchase
a large enough order. So called "grey" gear has serial numbers that are
not in the authorized distribution system. The dealer cannot claim ANY
recompense for serial numbers not in the system period. Remember the
system keeps track of serial numbers to control warrantee fraud and
costs. These grey distributors do not maintain any repair or parts
facilities, have minimal promotion costs, etc. Lower costs = lower
price.

There SEEMS to be another category of grey equipment where an
authorized dealer "dumps" gear in another distributor's territory.
Again the serial numbers disappear from the system making it impossible
for distributors to claim back any warrantee repairs.

Why Leica allows people who are not distributors to buy gear, I do not
know. Why Leica does not penalize distributors who dump gear in other
distributor's territory, I do not know. The only reason I can think of
is that Leica tolerates the ensuing mess because of the higher sales.
That is only speculation on my part. Again this is meant to be an
explanation of, NOT an apology for, the current state of affairs

John Collier

*If you have ever worked at an automotive dealership that has had a
warrantee audit, you will know how horrible that can be. Certain
companies even have denied that problems are problems and have stuck
their distributors with trying to keep the customer happy without going
broke.

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?)