Subject: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:52:27 -0500

> If, however, something comes in without proper documentation, and is
> truly "gray," the customer is charged the normal repair rates.

I have to believe every Leica comes from Leica in the first place, and Leica
only sells the cameras to authorized Leica dealers, I mean, if Leica sells
it to them, they are obviously authorizing them to sell it, right?  So, how
can a camera exist that doesn't come from SOME "Leica authorized dealer"?
I'm missing this magical intermediate step, that somehow a camera sold BY
Leica, to a dealer, which Leica sold it to, then loses "provenance".

The above should certainly hold true for a transferable warranty, such as
the International Warranty, and it simply shouldn't matter what happens to
the camera after it leaves the Leica manufacturing facility.

> I mentioned some USA dealers, also, sell gray. Ray said all Leica
> products imported by Leica Camera Inc. carry a mylar sticker on the box
> saying "Officially Distributed by Leica Camera Inc."

But...if the USA dealer sells me a non-Leica USA camera, and they ARE an
authorized Leica dealer, will they stamp and sign the warranty card, and
will the camera be covered by the International warranty?

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Raymond H. Nason" <RNason@cameraco.com> (Re: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?)