Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty Issues
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 16:22:04 -0500

Austin Franklin wrote:
> Hi Rolfe,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>

>>Yes, I recently bought an R9 and aside from the Passport, which the
>>document by the way refers to as the "Passport Plan and Limited
>>Warranty"...
>

> Read carefully and you'll find that the term "Limited Warranty" is ONLY
> talking about the following (and I quote):
>
> "GeovidLaser Rangefinder Binoculars 	- Additional 2 years on optics
> Televid Spotting Scopes 			- Additional 2 years
> Fullsize and Compact Binoculars 		- Lifetime"
>
> It makes no mention of camera gear.  So, for our purposes, any of the issues
> dealing with the "Limited Warranty" part of the document do not appear to
> apply.

No, that is not my reading of the document. The listing you describe is
under a section which defines products which have Limited Warranty
"beyond that of the Passport Protection Plan", that is, more than 3
years. And, by the way, the R8 is also included in that section and
receives an additional 2 years.

My reading of this thing is simply that Leica makes a distinction
between the time in which they will repair anything, no questions asked,
which is the Passport Protection period, and the additional warranty
period, if any, during which they will do normal warranty service for
things that break. The latter has normal warranty exclusions, such as
for misuse, neglect, etc., but the former does not. The distinction is
important because Leica USA offers the opportunity to buy two additional
years of warranty coverage, for an additional fee of course, which
starts when the Passport coverage expires. I think some people
mistakenly believe that they are buying two additional years of Passport
coverage, but that is not the case -- it is simply two years of "normal"
warranty.

I was surprised when rummaging through the R9 box to find that other
black international warranty card. I probably have several of them in
boxes that I've never even paid attention to.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014