Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty Issues
From: "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:44:14 -0700

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that USA Passport Protection is silly.
I'd love to see that kind of coverage on a piece, and I'm sure there are
those who get into rough situations who feel likewise.

As far as the Passport Plan's restriction on fire or theft, those situations
are usually covered by insurance. Homeowner's for theft (I know mine does,
even if it's stolen out of the car--and I can buy a cheap rider to make
sure), and fire, if the house burns down.

They need to have a piece of the camera, preferably the part with a serial
number. I had a customer just two weeks ago who told me he was glad to have
this protection for his binoculars, because one day in the field he had put
his binocs on the dash of a Land Rover and suddenly, the vehicle took off
and the binocs fell and were ruined. He had purchased them in Europe and
they were not covered under Passport, so he was you-know-what outta luck.

I know you'll throw something nasty and rotten at me for this one, but for
those who insist that the USA Passport Plan is just a way for Leica to get
more money out of you, I say ... well, I won't say it here. Compare the
price of any comparable piece sold in Europe and tell me that the USA models
are more expensive, especially these days of weak dollars.

Kit