Subject: Re: [Leica] High speed color films...
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:14:18 -0500

I used a brick of Fuji Press 800 at Xmas to shoot my family opening
their presents in very dim tungsten light. The exposure was pretty much
1/30 or 1/15 @ f/1.4 using the 800 film. I switched to Neopan 1600 when
I changed to the 24/2.8. The color balance is very good, actually - I
had no problems getting rid of the tungsten cast in Photoshop.

The Press 800 has a very particular look to it, very soft and quite
warm, which some people really like. Julian Thomas, for example, shoots
it in his Rolleiflex just for the tonal qualities. I have one of his
prints here which looks sensational. You can some examples here:

	http://www.foundobjectsgallery.com/wip5/index.htm

I also saw some documentary stuff that Rob Appleby shot using it in
Italian family homes, which looked sensational. One very good reason
for using it is that the rendition is strikingly different from the
supersaturated Velvia/Digital Velvia tones that we are all bored stiff
with.

Hope this helps.

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 12:44 AM, Austin Franklin wrote:

> Does anyone actually use high speed color film for low light indoor
> use?  If
> so, what have you noticed WRT color balance?  What do you use 800
> speed film
> for?
- --
John Brownlow