Subject: RE: [Leica] RE:Ebay
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:16:26 -0500

> I have never understood the antipathy some people feel about ebay. I
> think it is a wonderful service, and I admire it for being one of the
> very few Internet companies that found a truly different business model

Yes, and part of that business model is you and I become their henchmen, and
slyly give them free advertising by the fact that we will announce our eBay
auctions all over the place, which means eBay, a purely commercial venture,
is taking advantage of (exploiting) email lists and newsgroups.

I, personally, don't believe it's proper to post eBay auctions in
newsgroups, as newsgroups are CLEARLY stated for non-profit use, and as I
stated, and we all know, eBay makes money off of all transactions and is
profiting from advertising in these places, through our posting our eBay ads
there.

If eBay can advertise in newsgroups, then so should all commercial ventures
be allowed to, but that's not the charter of newsgroups.

At least that's my opinion...

Regards,

Austin