Subject: Re: [Leica] Discovering the 50mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:52:31 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> Kyle Cassidy pointed his D-100 at model with attitude:
>
> >  http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/paw/2003/6/milla1.jpg
>
> Pet photography usually results in horrendously sappy, sepia toned
> pictures filled with tear-jerking sentiment framed by a faded oval
> matte, that does little to flatter either the subject or the
> photographer.
>
> Milla is the best example of pet photography that I've seen.  Ever.
>
> M.

Hi my name is Mark Rabiner and I am a cat lover. I've gone 16 days
without photographing my dog.

This could not have been done if not for my loyal friends who  who loved
me unconditionally and convinced me that I am not Dog.

I photograph my cat more than I photograph anything.
She's a Calico.
THIS shot of Kyle's with the red chair in front of it like that is
better than anything I've done of my cat whose name is "Slides." It
looks somehow like large format.  I think although the red is great it
might look great in black & white. This has often happened to me. A shot
which is almost a color statement, (like this one) turns out to look
even better in monochrome.
But of course the PPA and the owners of the cat would not like it
because you can't see more than half of the cat.
Which makes it even better. But it's like a color Edward Weston. He did
lots of cat pictures come to think of it.

Mark Rabiner
woof
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography