Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Cloth Shutter Question
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:50:15 -0500

	I find it beyond belief that taking pictures with the sun in the
background will burn a hole in the shutter curtain, no matter how
bright the day. The sun just isn't focused on the curtain long
enough to do damage. I love to take pictures into the sun and
have never had any problems as a result.

	What *will* damage a shutter curtain is leaving the camera with
the sun pouring into the lens for long periods. A friend left his
M4 on the table, uncapped 35 Summilux facing up in the sun, one
Christmas morning while he talked to Grandma on the phone. When
the conversation ended, the M4 needed new curtains. He said it
was a pretty long conversation, like maybe half an hour. I've
held this particular M4 in my own hot little hands.

	In sum, use common sense and you'll be OK.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com