Subject: [Leica] Re: that auction site (WAS: COLUMBIA)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:56:54 +0100

I have never understood the antipathy some people feel about ebay. I
think it is a wonderful service, and I admire it for being one of the
very few Internet companies that found a truly different business model
and has survived the dot.com massacre. Just a couple of weeks ago I
decided to dabble in ex-DDR medium format cameras and get a Pentacon Six
with a couple of lenses. I bought the camera with the normal 80mm lens
from a guy in the Ukraine and a wide angle 50mm lens from a guy in the
Czech Republic. The prices were reasonable, and when I discovered a
problem with the shutter after running my tests, the Ukrainian seller
agreed to pay half the cost of a CLA. How could I have done this kind of
transaction before ebay existed? I could have gone to all the camera
shops in Zurich, probably not finding anything, or if I did find a P6 it
would have been at a typically Swiss price (i.e. outrageous).

Sure, there are scum who sell on ebay and we all have to use common
sense, but overall I just wish I had half the business acument of the
guys who founded the company.

Nathan

bdcolen wrote:
> Yah - Ebay!