Subject: Re: [Leica] Fast lens.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:50:03 -0800

Henry Ting wrote:

> Although I've been using the M for the last 25 years,
> I never owned any Leica lens faster than the "Cron"
> because I never needed it. However, this spring, I'm
> visiting some Buddhist temple up in some remote part
> of China and I like to bring some fast film as well as
> a fast lens. I would prefer a 35mm and would like to
> get some suggestions her.

Never mind that last post on this of mine.
Here it is rethunk.

When i got into Leica M about 10 years ago it wasn't for speed. It was
for compactness and quality and the main reason I'd get a faster lens
for my Nikons was for a brighter groundglass.

I didn't get a 50 Summilux which didn't focus as close for a few hundred
dollars more money. I got the famous Summicron.
My feeling is if I'm blowing a thousand dollars what's a couple of
hundred collars; it wasn't the money.

I got the 90 Elmarit over the Summicron which was not Asph yet and
was/is a bit of an ugly monster for me. But later did get the Summicron
with it was double A'd.

I just think 1.4 is an 35mm SLR groudglass thing.
Then on a windfall got the Noct. Perhaps on hind site I'd be better off
if I'd gotten the 35 1.4 Asph and the 28 AA as speed on a rangefinder
camera is a useful thing I've found out with the use of the Noct.
No mater how many Leica M lense you have there's always one in the
future you dream about and hopefully eventually get.
Sure it's a stupid accumulative thing but hopefully we justify all that
stupid money with some quality photography.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Web Sight: http://www.rabinergroup.com