Subject: Re: [Leica] Chamber music pictures
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:30:37 -0500

Peter:

Do you like this any better?

Before
http://www.hemenway.com/Klein/before.jpg

After:
http://www.hemenway.com/Klein/after.jpg

I adjusted the contrast overall a little in PS, then selected the face
with the magic wand and adjusted it's brightness and contrast.

I did it quick and dirty, no feathering, masking, etc. More time spent
would result in a much better job.  I only spent all of 2-3 minutes.

- --
Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Peter Klein wrote:

> It's the negs.  There was no way to measure the light before hand, as the
> stage lights were dark until the performers came out.  It was more glaring
> and contrasty than I realized.  I did my usual trick of measuring the
> reflection off the stage floor and compensating, but I should have closed
> down at least two stops instead of one.  So the faces are blown out.
>
> This is why I think I need a spot meter.  :-)  I usually guess right in
> situations like this, but it would be nice not to have to guess.  You
> can't always march up on stage beforehand with an incident meter. That's
> what I do when I can get away with it :-)
>
> --Peter
>
> In re.
>
> I think I like #18 the best, as it captures the intensity of the
> playing.
> http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/dschfest/18ClarTrioWeb2.jpg
>
> And the rest:
> http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/dschfest/10Sabee_web.jpg