Subject: RE: [Leica] "The 50-Year Summicron" Leica commemorative Summicron-M 50mm f/2
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:06:17 -0500

Just like the Elvis "commemorative" plates, and the 9/11 folding knives.
I'm sure there are exceptions to the "rule," but it is generally safe to
say that those things are collectible - that is they will increase in
value - that are not originally produced as "collectibles." Very low
serial number Ms, LTMs, etc., are truly collectible - they are rare, and
they are "real." Elvis's plates are collectible - Elvis plates are a rip
off of the simple minded.

No, I'm not suggesting that Leica collectors are simple minded - the
fact that so many of these "special editions" are not selling out
indicates that. :-)

As to this crap keeping Leica afloat - I would suggest that what has
kept Leica afloat is the market for the M camera and lenses, not the
handful of special editions sold, or, for that matter, the R line, which
has taken losses for several years at least. When M sales start to
decrease, you will read the announcement that Leica has been sold or has
folded.

B. D.