Subject: Re: [Leica] Moderately OT: Scanner or Digital Camera?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:45:16 -0800

Noel Charchuk wrote:

> One other option you didn't mention, and dependent upon whether you
> are shooting a lot of color neg or B&W film, is using a flatbed
> scanner to scan prints.

I wanted to avoid that, because it would mean that I'd have to make
prints first.  As it is, I'm having difficulty getting a darkroom set
up, and, besides, I wanted some quick way to go from photographing to
web publication without having to go through printing.  Handing a film
in for processing, no printing, no cutting of negs, affords me a
reasonable combination of flexibility and cost.

> Another option is to take slides or negs to a film processor that will
> scan and burn them to CD for you.

Cost.  For the price of doing this about ten or twenty times, I can get
a Minolta Dimage Dual Scan III scanner (which is looking pretty good, I
must say) which will give me more control over the end result.
Besides, I don't necessarily want *every* image I shoot on a CD.

Having read some opinions and some reviews, I think the aforementioned
Minolta (film) scanner might be the way to go.

M.

Replies: Reply from "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] rei's beach pix)