Subject: RE: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - What are your quietest cameras?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:23:30 -0500

Hi James,

> Leica M's are much too loud to photograph the slow movements of an
> orchestra (which are where most of the best conductor shots take
> place), so I use reflex cameras in sound blimps. (The result is
> virtually silent.)

Can the M not be put in a "sound blimp"?  Anyway, a Rollei TLR is quieter
than a Leica M.

> The folk wisdom that Leica M's are "quiet" is simply a mistaken
> notion. They are  "quieter" than typical SLRs, but that is all.

I don't believe anyone believes, or said, they are SILENT.  They are quiet
compared to a typical SLR...which "quiet compared to" is the same as
"quieter than", and, again, does not mean silent.  Silent and quiet are two
different things.  At least to my kids ;-)

Regards,

Austin