Subject: Re: [Leica] Harrison & Harrison
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:12:27 -0800

At 12:08 PM -0500 1/27/03, Marc James Small wrote:
>At 06:38 PM 1/26/03 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>>
>>>  Harrison and Harrison in California makes a complete range of Series
>>>  filters and adapters, in all sizes, for remarkly low prices.
>>>
>>>  Marc
>>
>>  Any idea of a good stockist Marc?
>
>Harrison and Harrison sells directly, big orders and small.  They produce
>allmost all filters used by Hollywood, so the high quality of their wares
>seems assured, Henning's rather odd experience to the contrary.  (But then
>I have always found Hoya to make junk filters, and Henning likes them, so I
>guess there is little accounting for our individual experiences.)
>
>Harrison & Harrison Optical Engineers
>Unit "E"
>1835 Thunderbolt Drive
>Porterville California 93257
>
>or
>
>Post Office Box 1797
>Porterville California 93258-1797
>
>voice telephone: 559/782-0121
>FAX: 559/782-0824
>
>Marc

I should amend this and say that during that period there were few
manufacturers that produced truly top notch products on a consistent
basis. Leica and Nikon filters were the only ones that _never_ had a
problem. B+W, Heliopan, Minolta, Canon, Pentax, Hoya and their
rebadged variations, Tiffen, etc all had some non-parallel dogs. With
focal lengths in the range of 35 to 100, the slight misalignment of
the surfaces was not that big an issue, but with highly corrected
long teles these filters absolutely destroyed the quality. Very wide
angle lenses also suffered more.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design