Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:34:38 -0500

Irving,
First, you will of course have to do some experimenting yourself as no one
meters like you do.  However, Neopan 1600 using Xtol 1:3 acts a whole lot
like Tri-X for me.  Similar grain, similar shadow density, similar reaction
to under or overexposure-just two stops faster.

Compared to the 3200 films Neopan 1600 is  much less grainy and some
additional shadow detail.  The caveat is that I do not print anymore,
everything is scanned and my equipment seems to like thinner negatives over
dense.  Using the scanner I can pull shadow detail that almost looks like
blank film.  I suspect that the folk who downrate Neopan 1600 to the
800-1200 range are printing traditionally and therefore find it easier to
print with more in the shadows.  Unlike the T-max films Neopan doesn't
easily block up in the highlights.

This link is to an image using Delta 3200 at 3200 in Xtol 1:3

This link is to a fairly typical Neopan 1600 at 1600 in Xtol 1:3.  Both
shots using the meter in the M6 intelligently.

The wedding shot was exposed for the fathers face and the Neopan shot was
metered off the bricks in the back as a middle gray.

I hope this helps.  As you might expect, I don't use the 3200 films unless I
want the grain effect.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com