Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions/comments on 135/3.4 APO Telyt M lense...
From: "Don R." <don.ro@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:41:29 -0600

You asked about the metal work on the 135 APO.

The f/stop ring flops around like it was made and fitted by an 8th grade
shop class  dropout.  I have to be extremely cautious or the slightest touch
will move the f/stop setting.The current Leica metal work sucks compared to
the Leitz metal work.

The pressure plate in the one and only M6 I ever bought was so poorly
finished it scratched the film. I set it up on a diamond lap and lapped it
till is was FLAT and SMOOTH.

The only thing one can say now days about a Leica is it is slightly better
finished than its competitors. Fortunately, the name Leitz has been removed
so that family's name will not be sullied by the current lack of care.

It is very difficult to replace former members of the German military
service who had a tremendous work ethic and pride in their work with the
current day vacationers who spend a huge amount of their time away from the
work bench.  Thank goodness for CNC equipment and molds that shape the APO
lenses without human intervention.

At one time there was pride in ownership when you owned a Leitz Leica.  Now
the mass production and off-shore sourcing has removed that source of pride,
at least for this writer.

Don R.